Al-Bukhari recorded that 'Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "We were with the Mesenger of Allah when he asked,
"Tell me about a tree that resembles the Muslim, the leaves of which do not fall in summer or winter and gives its fruit at all times by the leave of its Lord."
Ibn 'Umar said, "I thought of the date palm tree, but felt shy to answer when I saw that Abu Bakr and 'Umar did not talk. When they did not give an answer, the Messenger of Allah said,
"It is the date palm tree."
When we departed, I said to 'Umar, 'My father, by Allah! I thought that it was the date tree.' He said, 'Why did you not speak then? I said, 'I saw you were silent and I felt shy to say anything.' 'Umar said, 'Had you said it, it would have been more precious to me than such things (i.e., would have been very precious to me).'"
[Fath Al-Bari 8:228]
Back then, parents were proud of their kids when they had the knoledge of Islaam. Times have changed so much -- now the only thing many parents find precious is 'worldly' knowledge. Sad innit?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home