o c e a n b r e e z e

innit

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Cloths of Heaven
~


Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

-W.B.Yeats

How would YOU interpret this?

7 Comments:

  • At 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uhh. So he's having a bad day at work right. And he comes home. He finds his kids have messed up his laptop. And he's crushed. So he goes to the laundry room in the basement and he sits there crying. Then he sees his favourite shirt. He says to himself, "Dang, I love that shirt!" And he's comforted. And in his heart he makes a quiet appeal to his children that they respect him as their father. The kids sense something and rush down to the basement. They see him hugging a shirt. Strange, they thought. But as they got closer, they realised the shirt was soaked with blood. Their father's blood. They felt as though they'd killed him. He died.

    So one of the boys grew up and became a writer. And erm he dedicated this poem to the memory of his dad.

    - The End -

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :O *puts jaw back where it belongs*

    interesting. (did that really happen btw?:O)

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    man i was telling her how she has the mind of a psycho lol. Wouldn't you agree? :P

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Traveller, no, it didn't really happen. But it's cool innit. How it's all dark, mysterious and ambiguous in the end. I'm like, so totally artsy.

    Erm ok. No. I just didn't know how to interpret it other than the themes of dreams and humility.

    So how do you interpret it, Madam?

    And what's with this Umm Khawla butting in like that? Like, what's her problem, man?

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    whats my problem? WHATS MY PROBLEM?!! UFFF!!

    *takes a deep breath*

    Okay, I feel a bit better now.

    So yeah, you see my beloved Ed, that artistic interpretation you made of the poem reveals the way your mind works, which resembles one of a psycho. (jk)

    But no, seriously that was one cool interpretation maashaa'Allaah. I just never knew you had a dark side :P

    Love you man.

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hehee @ ummKhawlah.

    agreed, mysterious and intriguing [however u spell it:P] interpretation there :D

    i dunno, apart from the obvious [or maybe not] lovey dovey thing where the guy fancies the girl but he's too shy to admit it 2 her openly, so he drops huge hints that reveal his feelings and he asks her not to trample over his signs and hints; even if she doesn't feel the same about him, he asks her not to be too harsh cuz this means alot to him.. etc.

    i'd say its about someone who really wants to please someone in the best way possible. he says if he could do this or do that, he'd do it - and these are impossible things to do ('..The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light..')- he'd do so, but the fact remains that he can't; he's poor in his abilities and says he has dreams/ideas/intentions that he wants this person to know about, and wants 'em to know that he *wants* to please the person and knows that its poor but asks them to try and accept that this is the only way he can do it. At the end, the poet humbly asks TheOneHeWantsToPlease to be gentle with him and his poor abilities of pleasing the person.

    whew! sorry about the essay!

     
  • At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Umm Khawla. I'm so bored that I can't even bother with a good response for you. *yawn*. But yeah, your dark side is darker than mine. Tsk.

    Traveller. Nice, nice. But your interpretation I felt was the obvious intention of the poet. That it is a love poem, however it is a very deep, profound expression of the love. Poignant, even. Not a teeny-boppy crush. But a serious relationship. At least, that's what I get after reading your explanation and then the poem again.

    Cool insights, jazakillahu khair. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home